Pretty much everyone associates spring with cleaning. And that’s understandable. Things get pretty nasty as they accumulate dust and dirt over the long, dormant winter season.
A good scrub, to just about everything in your house, not only creates a healthy environment for you and your family, but it also makes everything look shiny and new for spring and summer. After you’ve completed your spring cleaning, you may even have people ask what you’ve done differently or if you bought something new. So yes, an intense spring cleaning is in order.
But, there is another step that many people leave out. It will put the cherry on top the appearance of everything that you’ve cleaned for spring and summer. Ironing.
Ironing a few key items during your spring and summer cleaning will take your house and wardrobe from an A to an A+ and, in many cases, make things look brand new.
In order to help you organize (and not leave key items out), let’s take a look at the specifics in your house and wardrobe that could use a special cleaning and ironing (when applicable) for the spring and summer season:
- Curtains: Whether you keep the same curtains up all year long or use seasonal curtains that have been stored away for the season, they need to be washed (in a gentle cycle). Curtains are an item that can absolutely benefit from being ironed…makes a world of difference! Just be sure to check the care tag for directions (you may need to use low heat on the iron setting).
- Pillow Shams: If you use these special pillow covers to dress your bed, don’t neglect to give them a cleaning as well. Pillow shams will look ten times better after you’ve ironed them, giving your bed a clean, crisp, new look.
- Tablecloth: Most people will clean their tablecloth but might not think to iron it. Ironing your tablecloth will give your table that extra vibrant, special look. Washing and ironing your tablecloth is well worth the reward.
- Luggage: Luggage gets especially dirty; therefore, it needs a really good scrub down. Use warm water, gentle soap and a soft scrub brush or old toothbrush to perform a good cleaning on your luggage. When you’re done, it will look brand new! Or if you want to splurge on new luggage, that’s just as well. It’s important that what you use to carry your freshly ironed clothes in during your travels is sanitary and fresh.
- Shoes: For obvious reasons, shoes are usually in desperate need of a good cleaning. A good shoe cleaning can prevent you from having to buy new ones for the season. Some shoes can also benefit from a little polish, depending on the type. Sneakers require a little extra attention, and it’s important not to forget to clean the laces.
- Clothes: Obviously we wash our clothes on a regular basis (hopefully!), but we probably aren’t as mindful when it comes to ironing and even washing certain items in our closet. Don’t forget about dresses, sweaters, blazers and light jackets. They all need to be cleaned and ironed as well. It may be a little time-consuming, but ironing our regular clothes will change your appearance for the better. It actually isn’t too difficult to iron correctly. It’s obvious when people have taken the time to iron their clothes, and it undoubtedly makes a good impression.
- Scarves: This is another item that may have been forgotten about when it comes to cleaning and ironing. Scarves are usually displayed front and center on outfits, so it is particularly crucial to wash them and give them the care they deserve. A freshly cleaned and nicely pressed scarf can take an outfit from good to amazing.
As with any item—whether it be household or wardrobe—make sure you check the care tag. Sometimes an item requires special attention, and you want to be sure to keep it in tip-top condition for spring and summer! Happy spring cleaning!