This is part of a sponsored collaboration with the California Milk Processor Board and Latina Mom Bloggers. However, all opinions expressed are my own.
This time of year is the most exciting. We are surrounded by all the cheer in the world, and have so many wonderful things to look forward to. But there is more to it than that. This time of year holds something very special that is often overlooked.
It isn’t about the holidays, it’s about family.
Think about it. This time of year we’re surrounded by people we haven’t seen in ages, yet we care so much about. It is something worth cherishing. This is just a small piece of Mom Wisdom I learned from my mom that I hope to pass on to my girls in an effective way.
As a child, one of my favorite things about this season is when my mom and grandma would make us hot chocolate. I’m not talking hot chocolate out of a packet, I mean the real stuff. It is so easy to make, but doesn’t quite fit into the rest of the year. I know I don’t like drinking hot chocolate when it is scorching outside, so I look forward to the winter. It’s the only time I can fully enjoy this nostalgic treat.
After all, milk fuels a better future, so why wouldn’t I continue this tradition and make it for my kids?
For Hot Chocolate I always use whole milk, it just tastes a million times better. Plus, there are so many benefits to milk.
- Calcium in milk may help reduce cavities when combined with a daily routine of brushing and flossing. On top of that, casein, a protein found in milk, helps prevent the germs that cause cavities from sticking to teeth.
- Milk is one of the best things we can drink to help us stay beautiful, it is packed with proteins , lipids , calcium, vitamin A, B6 , and biotin.
- A protein found in milk helps us get a better night’s sleep.
- Drinking three glasses of milk every day can help prevent bone disease and fractures.
- Drinking milk helps ease the symptoms of PMS.
- Milk helps our muscles recover after a good workout.
The Best Hot Chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1-2 Tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk together the cocoa, sugar, salt, and about 2 tablespoons milk in a pan over medium-low heat until cocoa and sugar are dissolved.
- Mix in the rest of the milk and continue warming over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot. Stir in the vanilla and serve.
This recipe is easily multiplied if you are making a cup for your entire family. I usually make a cup randomly throughout the day for one of the kids whenever they ask. You can also top with marshmallows, but I bet you already had that all planned out.
My real secret recipe is adding a drop or two of Young Living Peppermint Essential Oil before serving. It gives the hot chocolate an energizing kick!
10 Day Photo Challenge
Starting tomorrow, I will be participating in a 10 Day photo challenge, and I would LOVE to have you join me. Simply follow the graphic above for everything you need to know, and post on Twitter/Instagram with the hashtag #TomaLeche!