Today I was in the mood for something hearty and filling…that wasn’t meat. Since meat is such a major component of the Keto diet I get sick of it sometimes. Because of this I like to create meatless backup plan meals that keep me satisfied until a new day can start.
Today I had Grilled Portabella Mushrooms stuffed with Creamed Spinach and topped with cheese and crushed pork rinds (I used the spicy kind for a little kick!)
Oh man, it was delicious. I made one for myself and one for my daughter, we both devoured them within minutes and over an hour later I’m still full.
The process for this meal may seem like a lot of work, but it only about 20 minutes. I threw this recipe together, after being inspired by Giada’s recipe for Portabella mushrooms (I’ll share the link to this later,) and of course I had to make it Keto friendly.
The finished product ended up being really pretty, the colors really went well together. This isn’t what I normally see in my imagination when I picture low carb food.
Grilled Portabella Mushroom Stuffed with Creamed Spinach:
- 1 Portobello Mushroom, stem removed
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Cups Uncooked Spinach
- 2-3 Tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 slice Monteray Jack Cheese (or your favorite cheese!)
- 1-2 pieces pork rind, smashed for topping
- Preheat Broiler
- Drizzle Olive oil inside mushroom, add salt and pepper to taste. Put mushrooms cap side up onto griddle, grill for 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- In medium pan, melt butter, then add spinach. Coat spinach with butter evenly and saute until the desired consistency is reached. Add salt, pepper, and heavy cream. Mix well and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Place mushrooms cap side down onto baking sheet, add creamed spinach, top with cheese slice.
- Broil for 5-10 minutes, halfway through add pork rind topping.
If you happen to try this, let me know what you think and how you liked it!
Here are the macro-nutrients for this recipe: