In today’s day, having an amazing smart phone is almost a given. There are so many features that we do not want to live without, especially when we are on the go. What we forget to about is that Android phones, much like PC’s, are susceptible to viruses–or in the case of Android “Madware.”
What is Madware?
Madware, or aggressive mobile adware, uses aggressive techniques to place advertising in your Android device’s photo albums, calendar entries and push messages to your notification bar. Madware can even go so far as to replace your ringtone with an ad.
Now, I don’t know about you but Madware sounds extremely scary to me. The word “intrusive” comes to mind but not on a basic level. Madware invades every single aspect of your phone that it can. It really is scary if you think about it.
How do you go about contracting Madware?
The percentage of apps containing madware has exploded. Norton recently analyzed 1.5 million apps and saw a 210 percent increase in the number of apps including madware.
Whoa. Madware in apps? Are you kidding? You would be surprised at some of the apps that have Madware in them. These are some of the more shocking offenders:
- Brightest Flashlight Free is an ultra-bright app that allows you to use your phone as a flashlight. However, the app pushes alerts for things like dating sites to your notification bar – which can be annoying and potentially embarrassing.
- Zedge offers free ringtones,themes and wallpaper. Similar to Brightest Flashlight Free, it pushes alerts to your notification bar.
- Angry Birds and Angry Birds Space from Rovio are two of the top ten madware offenders.
Angry Birds? You’ve got to be kidding me! Am I wrong to think that when you provide such a well love product/application that you should make sure your customers aren’t negatively affected by said product? I think it is crazy that there isn’t more up-cry about this. Hopefully I’m not the only one who sees this as a serious invasion of privacy.
I have heard many stories about people’s phones being literally taken over by Madware. It is a seriously frustrating way to lose your entire phone, and even more frustrating if you have the patience to try and fix it. Thankfully there is a way to prevent the entire thing from happening in the first place.
Norton Spot can protect you from the negative things that Madware brings. Here is what it can do for you:
- Scans and removes apps that spam your device.
- Scans and identifies apps that displat intrusive ads.
- Removes app spam and aggressive advertising networks.
Being alerted about potential risks can be a lifesaver, this app helps you keep your phone safe from Madware before it has a chance to attack and take over your device.
Do you have an Android phone? Download Norton Spot today and keep yourself protected! *Madware affects Android phones only.
For more information check out this info-graphic, it has a ton of great information:
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Norton. I received a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.0