There are some events that call for a little something special. You know what I’m talking about…that little extra oomph.
When I think of something special my mind always races directly to desserts. What’s not to love about desserts? Could there be anything MORE special? I doubt it.
I’m serious. I really doubt it.
Even among desserts there is a special wow factor. The wow factor itself is usually a certain ingredient that everyone loves but doesn’t indulge in often. For me, that has always been Nutella and fruit. When I get those two together it becomes a good day by default. I wanted to take it a little further this time. Push the ‘oomph’ envelope.
Strawberry-Banana Nutella Cookies
Put Nutella and strawberry-banana on a cookie. Oh my god, Nutella cookies.
If you are like me and always have fresh fruit, baking ingredients, and Nutella on hand you are ready to go.
Strawberry-Banana Nutella Cookies Recipe
I love making these on a whim. Especially during the times of year when I’m always baking cookies and other goodies for family and friends. That whim happens when I have cookie dough made in the fridge, I open the pantry, and see Nutella sitting there.
Let me tell you, the pairing is a match made in heaven.
- 24 refrigerated pieces of sugar cookie dough
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ? cup granulated sugar
- 4 heaping tablespoons Nutella
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 1 cup bananas, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll the cookie dough into 24 equal sized balls and press them with the palm of your thumb into discs, about ¼ inch thick. Space an inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown (as directed on packaging)
- Prepare the Nutella topping by whisking the cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add Nutella and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When cookies have fully cooled, pipe or spread the Nutella mixture over the cookies and top with diced fruit.
What I’m looking forward to most is making these for the class snack when it’s our turn. Something sweet and delicious with fresh fruit is always a win for me. Plus, the kids love it. When they actually enjoy the desserts and snacks that I make, I don’t end up over indulging in a serious way.
This dessert is quite literally like having the best of both worlds.
You have chocolatey, hazelnut goodness, and strawberries. You have Nutella on a cookie. There is no way around it, for the fruit-loving Nutella fan, this dessert is a win no matter how you look at it.