The holidays are the time of year where baking is a necessity. I’ve always loved it. I grew up watching my mom make batches upon batches of goodies–she would make everyone from fudge to cookies to jalapeño cheese bread (which is my favorite!)
Now, we all know that eating all of the amazing goodies made for us this time of year aren’t the most health conscious foods. But cant we make them better? Yes, we can by baking with one of the soft spread brands instead of butter (Country Crock, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter) in our recipes. I have one I made to show you today, and I bet you’re going to be inspired to whip up your very own batch when you’re done reading.
A lot of people have negative ideas about soft spreads, and I’m here to help dispel some of these false accusations. Country Crock, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, Promise, Brummel & Brown, and Imperial are ALL a part of the Good to Know Initiative. Did you know:
These spreads have…
- 0g Trans Fats per serving
- Contain no partially hydrogenated oils
- Have no cholesterol
- Are 70% less fat than butter per serving
- Have 30% fewer calories than butter per serving
I decided to take the challenge and do some baking with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter–my findings were great, I promise you!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® All Purpose Sticks
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (12 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Beat I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® All Purpose Sticks with sugars in large bowl with electric mixer or wooden spoon until smooth. Beat in vanilla, egg and baking soda. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool on baking sheets 2 minutes. Remove cookies to wire racks and cool completely.
We had an amazing time making these, from the beginning Zoey was watching me from the sidelines continually asking if I was done with her cookies!
I put the I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter sticks and both sugars in the bowl then beat until they were smooth.
I then added the egg and baking soda, combined them, then incorporated the chocolate chips.
I had a hard time resisting the urge to eat the dough…it is kind of like kryptonite to me!
I also want to take a moment to show off my new KitchenAid stand mixer, Bryan surprised me with it when I came home from my hair appointment. I guess talking about it on Facebook was all I needed to do to get one for Christmas. 😉
I baked them on my new cookie sheet (which one person will win!) and the awesome Silpat baking sheet liner (also a prize!) which made it super easy to remove the cookies. The Silpat liner is the best invention ever for people who bake a lot of sweets or sticky things.
After they baked for 10 minutes, rested on the sheet, and were transferred to my cooling rack I decided it was time to take the picture. I’m proud of how these turned out:
Zoey absolutely loved them, as did I (I had one and only one…that was extremely hard to do!) She had this very interesting look on her face when she ate her first one:
Now, one of you will win an awesome set of baking goodies so you can try out a recipe that uses a soft spread instead of butter. I’m also inviting you to enter the Making Life Better Confection Perfection contest, where they’re giving away a KitchenAid Stand Mixer every day!
One winner will receive the following:
- Silpat® baking sheet liner
- Steel Cooling Rack
- Nonstick cookie sheet
- Stainless steel cookie scoop
- $10 gift card to purchase your Unilever spread of choice and baking ingredients
Enter to win via the Rafflecopter widget below, it may take a moment to load.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
I received products to facilitate my review, but all opinions are my own.